Monday, November 22, 2010

Profiling Must Be Part Of Airport Secuirty

To be very honest, I am not one of the millions up in arms about the new security measures at America's airports.  Now, that may be because I have flown a grand total of twice in the last 15 years and don't intend to fly anytime soon.  However, it may also be because I believe that flying in American air space is a privilege and not a right. 

I actually feel like the scanners are a bad idea and the pat downs are perfectly legal and reasonable.  If I do get on an airplane I would feel much safer knowing that all of my fellow passengers are aboard without materials that are prohibited.  That having been said, when I flew from Tampa to DC last November I went through metal detectors and then had a meal in the terminal.  I ordered steak and was presented with...wait for it.....A REAL KNIFE.  I did not go through another detector before getting on the plane.  Boy, did I feel safe.

What this situation calls for is common sense.  I see images of young American children being frisked, patted, molested--whatever you want to call it.  It's ridiculous!  Only Islamic terrorists would use their own young children to commit acts of terror.  So, this is where profiling comes in.  Let's simply look to those who are a risk.  Look at ALL of the terrorists of 9-11--ALL MIDDLE EASTERN MALES.  Let's look at the underwear bomber of last holiday season---on a watch list, part of Al Qaeda and we knew it.

Stop harassing grandma and Tiny Tim and profile at airports and let the ACLU fight it in the courts. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think that profiling should be one of the core elements of airport security. I remember opting for a full body scan once because my metal belt kept going off, it really wasn't that bad: more like a mild minority report-like necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete